7×7.com just published a wonderful feature profiling eight chefs in San Francisco who are proving that a woman’s place can be at the head of a traditionally male-dominated professional kitchen.
Bay Area diners are accustomed to seeing talented women at the helm of their favorite restaurants, following in the footsteps of such culinary trailblazers as Alice Waters, Traci Des Jardins, and Dominique Crenn. Nevertheless, throughout the industry as a whole, it has been estimated that in 2016 only 4.7 percent of American chefs and head cooks were female.
These 7×7 profiles present a new generation of female chefs. The feature looks at their successes, passions, challenges and goals. Here is the list of the chefs that are profiled:
- Michelle Minori, Executive Chef, Barzotto
- Avery Ruzicka, Head Baker/Partner, Manresa Bread
- Kim Alter, Chef/Owner, Nightbird and Linden Room
- Sarah Rich, Chef/Co-owner, Rich Table and RT Rotisserie
- Melissa Chou, Pastry Chef, Mister Jiu’s
- Angela Pinkerton, Pastry Chef at the forthcoming Che Fico and Theorita
- Marianne Despres, Chef/Owner, El Sur Empanadas (opening May 2017)
- Cortney Burns, Chef/Partner, Motze
To see the feature in its entirety, click here.